Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Twice in Time ★★☆☆☆

 

This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot, & Librarything by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission
Title: Twice in Time
Series: ----------
Authors: Manly Wade Wellman
Rating: 2 of 5 Stars
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 168
Words: 47K





Synopsis:


From FictionDB.com


While vacationing in Italy, 19-year-old Leo Thrasher rashly experiments with a radical new science. The result: he "reflects" himself 500 years back in time and must deal with life in the middle ages as he strives to return to the present. And in the 20th century, the memoirs of Leonardo da Vinci are unearthed.




My Thoughts:


This was my third foray into the works of Manly Wade Wellman and I have to admit, I've been nothing but disappointed. Unless I can get my hands on the Silver John series or the John Thunstone series, I'll not be reading anything else by Wellman.


This book was stupid. The main character, Leo Thrasher, goes back in time, without giving it any thought and turns into Leo da Vinci. Makes me wonder if Tim Powers read this story and if it influenced his Anubis Gates any? If not, it's a remarkable coincidence.


So, Leo. He descibes his time mirror and goes into detail of what went into the making of it (super rare elements, machined metal parts measured down to the micrometer, etc, etc) and he somehow expects to be able to make one to return, in Italy in the 1500's? What kind of idiot is he? A big ultra-stupid idiot, that's what kind. It was just one ridiculous situation after another that either had me rolling my eyes or shaking my fist. I realized what Wellman was doing (ie, Leo was Da Vinci) about halfway through and I probably should have seen it much sooner. But I was distracted by all the stupid idiotic stuff going on.


I had higher hopes from Wellman. But the three books I've read by him have all been juvenile, simplistic, stooooopid and not entertaining. Adios amigo and don't let my lightsaber hit you where the Good Lord split you.


★★☆☆☆



No comments:

Post a Comment