Friday, December 24, 2021

The Secret of Father Brown (Father Brown #4) ★★★★☆

 

This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot, & Librarything by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission
Title: The Secret of Father Brown
Series: Father Brown #4
Author: G.K. Chesterton
Rating: 4 of 5 Stars
Genre: Mystery
Pages: 218
Words: 63K





Synopsis:


Table of Contents



  • "The Secret of Father Brown" (framing story)

  • "The Mirror of the Magistrate"

  • "The Man with Two Beards"

  • "The Song of the Flying Fish"

  • "The Actor and the Alibi"

  • "The Vanishing of Vaudrey"

  • "The Worst Crime in the World"

  • "The Red Moon of Meru"

  • "The Chief Mourner of Marne"

  • "The Secret of Flambeau" (framing story)




My Thoughts:


Wikipedia totally let me down for this book. While it has had synopses for the previous book collections of short stories, there was no entry for this compilation. Makes me wonder how the people there can sleep easy at night, knowing they abandoned me in my hour of need. Not only that, they also let down every single one of you who is reading this. You expected a snapshot of the stories contained in this book and what do you get? Just a lousy TOC. My goodness, I hope you are properly outraged at this disturbing display of laziness and lack of hard work. I know I am!


Shame, shame, shame.


As I noted in my “CR&Q: The Secret of Father Brown” post, this book felt like it encapsulated the essence of Father Brown and what Chesterton was trying to convey through him. While Chesterton and I disagree on some things, maybe even big things (he was a staunch Roman Catholic and I'm a 7th Day Adventist), our views on God certainly do align. And not just on God the Father but the entire Trinity, which is how it should be.


Therefore as I was reading these stories, instead of viewing them as a mystery story, or a story about Justice Here and Now (which is one of the issues Chesterton and I differ on), I viewed them through the lense of knowing people as individuals and not as a class or type. As is written in Romans 3:23, “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”


Once someone realizes their proper place before God and what Christ's sacrifice has truly done, how they interact and view the rest of humanity is going to change. But the significance of Christ's sacrifice is absolutely essential. If I just take the first part, that we are all sinners and cannot live up to the perfect standard that God has requires (it's not an arbitrary line He drew in the sand, it is part of His very character), then chances are that I'll either start enslaving other humans, because why not, they're scum destined for hell so why not start hell a little early for them, OR I'll become an arrogant asshat thinking how much better I am than them (ie, the Pharisee who prayed and thanked God that he wasn't like “that” tax collector next to him). But once I realize the universe shattering revelation of Christ's sacrifice, every person I meet has to be treated like the object of God's love and sacrifice, because they are.


Christians can spend their entire lives learning this lesson and letting the Holy Spirit (the third person of the Trinity) imprint it on their hearts and minds. Some of us do better than others. But this collection of stories reminded me, again, that Christ didn't die just for me, but for every single individual person in the entire world, past, present and future. It is humbling and encouraging all at the same time.


The fact that this book got me thinking along these lines is why it got 4stars. It was better than some of the so-called devotionals I've read in the past.


★★★★☆



No comments:

Post a Comment