Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Firefight (The Reckoners #2)


Firefight - Brandon Sanderson This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: Firefight
Series: The Reckoners
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Rating: of 5 Battle Axes
Genre: SFF
Pages: 427
Format: Kindle





Synopsis:
David is convinced that Firefight isn't actually the traitor she appears to be. So he heads to Manhattan to take out an Epic that has been throwing smaller epics at Newcago and so he can find Firefight and convince everyone just how innocent and perfect she is.
We find out lots of info about Epics and surprise, surprise, David's hormones, instead of his brain, are right and Firefight is all sweetness and light.

My Thoughts:
I am done with this series. I did not really enjoy Steelheart and I found Mitosis to be yawn worthy.

It isn't that it is badly written, or telling a poor story. I simply cannot stand David the main character. I was a 19 year old young man at one time. I KNOW what it is like to have hormones practically controlling you. I also know that you can overcome that and use your brain to at least put the brakes on things, if not do the right thing, ie, don't endanger your whole crew to run after a girl.

I also know that hormones don't tell you the truth and in fact they confuse you so much that you can barely tell left from right sometimes. So to have David be right because he "felt" it just made me annoyed to the point of illness. If I am going to read about young adults, I need someone like Rigg from the Pathfinder trilogy by Orson Scott Card.

Problem is, most young adults don't control themselves and hence David would fit right in with them. Which is probably why I can't stand him. So my first series of Sanderson's that I'm leaving. Depending on how his Stormlight Archives series goes, that might be the second.

No comments:

Post a Comment