Wednesday, February 16, 2022

The Scandal of Father Brown ★★★☆☆

 

This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot, & Librarything by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission
Title: The Scandal of Father Brown
Series: Father Brown #5
Author: G.K. Chesterton
Rating: 3 of 5 Stars
Genre: Mystery
Pages: 239
Words: 65K





Synopsis:


Table of Contents


The Scandal of Father Brown


The Quick One


The Blast of the Book


The Green Man


The Pursuit of Mr Blue


The Crime of the Communist


The Point of a Pin


The Insoluble Problem


The Vampire of the Village





My Thoughts:


While not bad, I really didn't enjoy my read this time. I don't know if there was more, but I noticed the fact that Father Brown would almost like clockwork make a vague announcement and then express surprise when everyone would proceed on that statement in the logical direction the statement was leading. He'd then explain why they were all wrong and why his statement was still correct. But in a sense that nobody but himself would EVER have thought of.


Plus, I've not read the word “Puritan” or some derivative so many times in one novel. Not even the Scarlet Letter ranted against them as much! Apparently wanting to take care of your body by not ingesting various poisons that we all know will kill you is a sure-fire way of being a kill-joy and kill-joys are Satan's minions. Ok, it wasn't that bad, but it was pretty obvious Chesterton had a thing against Protestants. It was really annoying by the end.


This was the last Father Brown novel in this Chesterton omnibus and I am glad. Like several other mystery writers I have been reading, I'd reached my limit even with judicious spacing out. We'll have to see what I think of his other writings. I am looking forward to them because despite all my grumblings about Father Brown, I still think they are good writing. They just need to be read at a much greater length (like one a year perhaps) than I was willing to go.


★★★☆☆




No comments:

Post a Comment