Sunday, August 21, 2022

Night Train to Rigel (Quadrail #1) ★★★✬☆

 


This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress & Blogspot by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission
Title: Night Train to Rigel
Series: Quadrail #1
Authors: Timothy Zahn
Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: SF
Pages: 279
Words: 105.5K





Synopsis:


From Wikipedia.org


The story starts with former government agent, Frank Compton, meeting a young man who drops dead at his feet. Compton finds a ticket to a strange, interstellar train called the Quadrail. During Compton's ride on the Quadrail he falls asleep, and wakes up in the custody of the spiders, the operators of the Quadrail. The Spiders explain to Compton their worries of a weapon of mass destruction, which may be able to bypass their Quadrail security. Compton agrees to help, and is given a pass for the Quadrails and they assign him a traveling companion named Bayta, who has a strange talent for being telepathic in her communication to the Spiders.


Frank Compton discovers the power behind the Quadrail system: an ancient civilization called the Chahwyn. On the course of his travels on the Quadrail, he learns of the existence of the Modhri: the equally ancient enemy of the Chahwyn. The Modhri has its mind bent on controlling the galaxy.



My Thoughts:


When I read this originally back in 2006 I was still under the impression of my youthful foray into Zahn and thought he was an exciting and blockbuster of an author. As such, I didn't enjoy this back then as I was still expecting something from Zahn that he had never given. That something is excitement. I have come to realize that Zahn is a dull writer. He has fantastic ideas, writes correctly and is an absolute work horse, but you'll never come out of one of his books pumping your fist and screaming “Oh yeah, that was AWESOME!” If you do, well, I'm guessing either you are 12 years old or your life is even more boring than mine.


So with all of that whininess, it was just to explain that I went into this re-read with a much more accurate set of expectations. I wasn't disappointed. I read a good Future Detective story with lots of talking points and just enough barely there action to keep me awake. Having read much of the “mystery” genre, and specifically the “detective mystery” genre, this made a lot more sense. Didn't make it any more exciting, but it did make sense.


Having bumped this up 1/2star, I think I'm going to go through the entire series. I wasn't sure when I started, but I did enjoy this enough to warrant looking at the other books.


I'm using the original cover for this review. In '06 I remarked how ugly it was. It still is, isn't it? I know it's hard to see in that little pix, but sandy colored nobodies without an ounce of attraction to them isn't going to draw the readers in. HOWEVER, I was looking for a different cover and the new one is even worse, if you can believe it:



How boring and unattractive is THAT?!? Publishers certainly do move in Mysterious Ways....


★★★✬☆





2 comments: