Tuesday, August 23, 2022

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #4) ★★★✬☆

 


This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPresss & Blogspot by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission
Title: The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
Series: Sherlock Holmes #4
Author: Arthur Doyle
Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: Mystery
Pages: 322
Words: 87K





Synopsis:


Table of Contents


Silver Blaze


The Yellow Face


The Stock-broker’s Clerk


The “Gloria Scott”


The Musgrave Ritual


The Reigate Puzzle


The Crooked Man


The Resident Patient


The Greek Interpreter


The Naval Treaty


The Final Problem



My Thoughts:


This is the book where Sherlock Holmes so infamously dies. I say infamously because apparently Doyle had the spine of a jellyfish and when the bills came knocking he immediately caved, resurrected Holmes and lived off of his creation. He SHOULD have created another character, called Berlahp Sax and used him instead. Whatever. Doyle is dead so he won't be listening to any advice I might have had for him.


I enjoyed this more than the previous “Adventures of...” and I think that is because I am not sure if I've ever actually read this book or not. I'm pretty sure I read all of Sherlock in highschool but I really can't remember. So this was all brand new stories to me. That makes a huge difference.


Moriarty is introduced in the final story and everything concerning him takes place in that one short story. None of this silly Long Story Arc building up the dramatic tension. He's a bad guy, Sherlock clobbers him, metaphorically speaking, and eventually they go mano-a-mano and fall over a cliff. It was a great ending to the story of Sherlock. Personally, if there had been no more Sherlock stories I would have been perfectly happy with how things turned out.


Since that is not how things will be however, I am just as pleased to go on reading more stories about Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson.


★★★✬☆




No comments:

Post a Comment