Wednesday, August 03, 2022

The Beguiling (WH40K: Ciaphas Cain #1.7) ★★★☆☆

 


This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress & Blogspot by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission
Title: The Beguiling
Series: WH40K: Ciaphas Cain #1.7
Authors: Sandy Mitchell
Rating: 3 of 5 Stars
Genre: SF Short Story
Pages: 21
Words: 6K





Synopsis:


From The Black Library & Me


On Slawkenberg, Ciaphas Cain is a long way from the front lines and that's precisely what he wanted. However, Chaos is present on Slawkenberg and Cain finds himself back in the firefight against his better judgement. And ends up almost being seduced by a vampire/agent of a chaos god.




My Thoughts:


Despite only giving these short stories 3stars (yeah, like 3stars is somehow bad, sigh. See, that's how the culture creeps in and twists and warps your own value system, no matter how much you may rage and fight against it), I am thoroughly enjoying them. Most of them are collected in one single volume called Hero of the Imperium or something, but without another ground pounder Warhammer 40K series lined up after this, I have to admit that I am trying to stretch out my time with Cain.


And while I'm being brutally honest (because aren't book reviews supposed to be full of pathos, drama and personal connections to make you think that I care about you? I obviously don't, but I can play that game, watch me. Look me in the eye and tell me I don't care about you. * ba-dump * That was your heart skipping a beat as we made eye contact and had “a moment”. Forget the Geico Lizard, I can do “fake connections” better than anyone), dang it, that fake connection totally made me forget what I was going to write. Wow, I am even better than I thought! Oh, oh, I remember! Ha, steeltrap McBookstooge they called me in ye olde countrye. I am totally making up the series numbers for the short stories. I have ZERO idea where any of them actually fit in with regards to the full novels, but in 10 years, I'm not going to care and in 1 day you're probably not going to care either. So I'm not sweating it. If you're sweating it, get a better antiperspirant. Mitchum, I've heard of that, so use it.


It was really weird to see vampires in a Warhammer 40K story. I'm so used to just tech and the chaos gods that all the other manifestations of them always take me by surprise. It is interesting how urban fantasy or straight up fantasy (orks anyone?) are woven into a far future story and presented as non-mystical.


With this short story I realized that I have read some of Mitchell's Warhammer novels a couple of years ago (The Blood on the Reik trilogy) and sort of enjoyed them. So after I'm done Cain I might have to see what else Mitchell has written in the WH:40K universe as chances are decent that I'll enjoy them.


If anyone reading this has read a bunch of Warhammer 40K and has some recommendations that are similar to either Gaunt's Ghosts or Ciaphas Cain, please, let me know.


★★★☆☆




No comments:

Post a Comment