Monday, September 07, 2026

Merfolk of the Pearl Trident - MTG 4E

 

This was the only other Merfolk card in 4th Edition. The other was "Lord of Atlantis", which has been showcased already. I built a Merfolk deck, which meant that to get the prerequisite 60 cards, I had to go exploring other Magic the Gathering releases to find Merfolk card. I just looked at the official Magic the Gathering database and in 2026 there are only about 40 Merfolk cards. So you can imagine just how many there were in '95 :-D

But that kind of exploration, that was half the fun of Magic back then. There was no big internet database, so you had to comb through price guide magazines like Scrye OR go to your local game store and literally pick through their boxes of hundreds of unsorted cards. Which is great fun when you are a teenager and everything is new. Now, 30 years later, that kind of thing isn't fun for me. Scrye is now out of business, I don't really play Magic anymore and Doctor Who got his own set of Magic the Gathering cards.

Hmmmm. See, this is the problem with maundering thoughts. You never know where you are going to end up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merfolk of the Pearl Trident - MTG 4E

  This was the only other Merfolk card in 4th Edition. The other was " Lord of Atlantis ", which has been showcased already. ...