This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress & Blogspot by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission
Title:
Mrs Pollifax, Innocent Tourist
Series: Mrs
Pollifax #13
Author: Dorothy Gilman
Rating:
3.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: Thriller
Pages:
155
Words: 51K
Publish: 1997
The
penultimate Mrs Pollifax story. This time the author isn’t afraid
to name names or deal with REAL situations.
I was still recovering from Lewis’s The Abolition of Man when I read this, so I just kind of sat back and soaked this in, like sitting in a pool. I just let the whole story wash over me without trying to think. I simply enjoyed. Sometimes that is all I ask of a book. Not very often, but occasionally that really is enough and this was one of those times. I enjoyed the beginning, the middle and the end and I didn’t have to stretch myself at all.
I benevolently pat this little book on its head and send it scampering off to play with all the other little books out there.
★★★✬☆
From the Internet
In Mrs. Pollifax, Innocent Tourist by Dorothy Gilman, elderly CIA operative Emily Pollifax travels to Jordan to help smuggle a dangerous manuscript exposing Saddam Hussein. Posing as a tourist to cover for her retired agent friend John Farrell, she faces immediate danger, deadly pursuits, and uses her wits and karate to survive.
The Mission and Arrival
The Goal: Retrieve and smuggle out an inflammatory manuscript written by a murdered Iraqi dissident that details the dark truths of Saddam Hussein's regime.
The Cover: Emily acts as the fun-loving tourist cousin of her partner, John Sebastian Farrell.
The Threat: On the flight to Amman, Emily's suspicious seatmate hides a map and key inside a carving in her luggage, launching them straight into a web of terrorists and secret police.
Danger in Jordan
Missing Contact: Their scheduled meeting with Farrell's contact at the Crusader castle of Karak results in finding a dead body instead.
The Chase: Tracked by Jordanian terrorists, Iraqi secret police, and local authorities while touring with a local guide and his sister, the pair must navigate shifting loyalties and life-threatening traps.
The Climax: The high-stakes adventure concludes at an ancient desert fort where Mrs. Pollifax uses her signature karate skills to outwit and take down the villain


No comments:
Post a Comment