Yes, this post is mostly about the Pumpkin Festival, but there was a whole week leading up to it. So pull out those pistols, 'cause we're going to go so fast that we MUST be breaking some laws, and any self-respecting outlaw knows they need a pistol. So load up cowboys!

Sunday I was helping my brother move a new wood stove. 600 pound monster (275kg) that took 3 of us to move, with a moving dolly. I felt like He-Man afterwards, hahahahaa.

Monday was an Oh Yeaaaaah day. Because eggnog is now on sale! You know life is good when you can drink eggnog on a Monday afternoon. Not even work could put a damper on that.

Tuesday was Date Night for the month. We went to a burger joint of all places, and it was even Mrs B's idea. It's a local place that does a few kinds of burgers and sides, really well. Mrs B got the poutine (gravy covered french fries) along with the veggieburger and I got the weekly special, the Country Fair burger. That consists of, according to their website and I can verify it, "Our Fresh Ground Seasoned Burger topped with a Whole Hotdog, American Cheese and French Fries on our signature toasted bun with Ketchup and Mustard". Date Night was a smashing success this month.

Wednesday I had to take off from work because we needed our furnace cleaned and serviced for the upcoming winter. I was looking at our records and it has been QUITE a while since it was last done, so it was more of a necessity than one of those "oh, that's a good idea" kind of things. Once that was done I did all those things I usually save for after work like going to the bank, the pharmacy, the boot store, that kind of thing. Get them all done in one whack instead of spacing them out. Of course, I had a couple glasses of eggnog to help sugar me through the day, so it was yet another fine day :-) and I didn't have to go to work. I think that was the best part, hahahahaa.

Thursday was sunny and work went well and I felt GOOD.

And Friday was the main Event, the Pumpkin Festival! This scary looking fellah was painted on a window and he got a lot of attention.

The Pumpkin Festival just isn't complete until you've seen a Man and his Pig, snuffling along, just itching to be petted and scritched (the pig, not the man). That'll do Pig, that'll do.

And what's better than a Man and his Pig? A skeleton dog driving an old time'y car of course! I mean, it goes without saying.

For the more discriminating tastes amongst us, we have the arts and crafts section of the Pumpkin Festival. Nothing says "I'm wicked scary" like a bedazzled skull grinning at you! Sadly, I didn't see any that had one glowing eye, so there was no Bookstooge Skull of Power to be had.

Once you've wandered around, it's time to eat. I had a pepperoni calzone and Mrs B had this scrumptious home made cinnamon bun with pumpkin icing and pumpkin seeds. By the time I'd remembered I was taking pictures, I'd already eaten 3/4 of my calzone, and NOBODY needs to see the devoured corpse of a pepperoni calzone.

When you are done eating, you do the right thing and throw you garbage away in the provided trash bins. Obviously, the trash bin on the right has an old russian soul. I commiserated with it, in silence.


Then to help aid in digestion, you walk around and look at people. The Pumpkin Festival always has characters. The Man and his Pig are just the tip of the iceberg. This year we had someone in a full ghilly suit (a military suit used by snipers to hide out in plain sight to whack baddies like the former President of Iran). I saw them walking around and thought they were trying for a Cousin It impression. Then you have the opposite end of the spectrum like the people in the second picture. They made their own staffs and put glow in the dark lights on them and walked around in their capes. Characters, that is what they were, and the Pumpkin Festival was just full of characters!

The the exciting end to the evening. A firetruck puts its ladder up to the second story of town hall and a fireman runs up the ladder waving a pumpkin flashlight, as everyone screams and hollers and loses their collective minds, and then he "lights" the great pumpkin, which is shown in the featured image. Then all the young people eat more food and make lots more noise while us more mature folk head home and get ready for bed. A good time was had by all.


No comments:
Post a Comment