Sunday, October 11, 2026

Jane Austen: A Life (Non-Fiction) 2StarsDNF@16%

 

This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress & Blogspot by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission

Title: Jane Austen: A Life
Series: (Non-Fiction)
Author: Claire Tomalin
Rating: 2 of 5 Stars / DNF@16%
Genre: Biography
Pages: 384 / 60
Words: 138K / 22K
Publish: 1997



This was supposed to be a biography of Jane Austen. The author, Claire Tomalin kept going down so many rabbit trails and had such a scattershot approach to her presentation that I couldn’t take it any more. In one instance she started a story with Jane’s great-grandmother and somehow worked it down to Jane herself. But it was convoluted and messy and I had a very hard time following her. Plus, her use of first names, when several people had the same first name, didn’t help at all.

So I decided to stop wasting my time and to move on. I find it much easier to dnf a non-fiction book for whatever reason.

If I ever see Claire Tomalin’s name on a book again, I’ll know to avoid it for sure.

★★☆☆☆


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jane Austen: A Life (Non-Fiction) 2StarsDNF@16%

  This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards...